YouTube Premium is a subscription service offered by YouTube that provides an ad-free experience, background play, and access to YouTube Originals. While it offers various benefits, there are instances where users may want to cancel their subscription. This article provides a comprehensive guide on how to cancel YouTube Premium across different devices.
Understanding YouTube Premium
Before proceeding with the cancellation, it’s important to understand what YouTube Premium offers. This service includes ad-free viewing, offline playback, background play on mobile devices, and access to YouTube Music Premium.
Reasons to Cancel YouTube Premium
- Cost Concerns: The monthly subscription fee for YouTube Premium might be a significant factor, especially if users find that they are not using the service enough to justify the cost.
- Underutilization of Features: Some users may realize that they don’t frequently use the exclusive features offered by YouTube Premium, such as ad-free viewing, background play, or access to YouTube Music and YouTube Originals.
- Budget Reprioritization: Changes in financial situations or budget priorities might lead users to cut back on subscription-based services, including YouTube Premium.
- Free Alternatives: Users might find free or more affordable alternatives for music and video streaming services that better suit their needs or preferences.
- Ads Are Not a Concern: For some users, watching ads may not be a significant inconvenience, making one of the key benefits of YouTube Premium less appealing.
- Limited Content in YouTube Originals: If the draw of YouTube Premium was access to YouTube Originals, users might cancel if they find the content limited or unappealing.
- Change in Viewing Habits: A shift in media consumption habits, such as spending less time on YouTube or switching to other streaming platforms, can be a reason to cancel the subscription.
- Technical Issues or Discontent with the Platform: Experiencing persistent technical issues, or dissatisfaction with the platform’s policies or changes, might prompt users to cancel their subscription.
- Temporary Need: Some users might subscribe to YouTube Premium for a specific reason, like a trip or a particular project, and cancel it once the need is over.
- Promotional Period Ended: Users who signed up for a trial or promotional period at a lower cost might choose to cancel once the standard subscription rate applies.
Also read : How to Turn On Dark Mode on Snapchat
Step-by-Step Guide to Cancel YouTube Premium
Canceling YouTube Premium on a Web Browser
- Visit YouTube: Go to www.youtube.com and sign in to your account.
- Access Paid Memberships: Click on your profile icon in the top right corner and select ‘Paid memberships’ from the dropdown menu.
- Find YouTube Premium: Look for your YouTube Premium subscription in the list.
- Cancel Membership: Click on ‘Cancel Membership’ next to YouTube Premium.
- Confirm Cancellation: Follow the prompts to confirm the cancellation of your subscription.
Canceling YouTube Premium on Android Devices
- Open YouTube App: Launch the YouTube app on your Android device.
- Tap on Profile Icon: Your profile icon is located at the top right corner of the app.
- Select ‘Paid memberships’: This option is in the account menu.
- Choose YouTube Premium: Tap on the membership you want to cancel.
- Cancel Subscription: Select ‘Cancel Membership’ and follow the prompts to confirm cancellation.
Canceling YouTube Premium on iOS Devices
- Open Settings App: Go to the settings app on your iOS device.
- Tap on Your Apple ID: This is usually at the top of the settings menu.
- Go to ‘Subscriptions’: Tap on ‘Subscriptions’ to view your active subscriptions.
- Select YouTube Premium: Find YouTube Premium from the list of subscriptions.
- Cancel Subscription: Choose ‘Cancel Subscription’ and confirm the cancellation.
- End of Billing Cycle: When you cancel, you will continue to have access to YouTube Premium for the remainder of your billing cycle.
- Restoration of Ads and Loss of Premium Features: After your billing cycle ends, you will lose access to Premium features like ad-free videos, background play, and YouTube Music Premium.
- Reactivation: If you decide to reactivate YouTube Premium in the future, you can do so through your YouTube account settings.
Things to Consider Before Canceling
- Loss of Premium Features: Remember that you’ll lose access to all the premium features, including ad-free videos, background play, offline downloads, and access to YouTube Music Premium and YouTube Originals.
- Impact on Viewing Experience: Consider how returning to the ad-supported version of YouTube will affect your viewing experience. Ads will reappear in videos, and you won’t be able to play videos in the background on mobile devices.
- Current Billing Cycle: Check your current billing cycle. When you cancel, you’ll retain access to Premium features until the end of the cycle. It’s wise to time your cancellation to get the most out of your last subscription period.
- Offline Content: If you have downloaded any content for offline viewing or listening, be aware that you’ll lose access to these downloads once your Premium subscription ends.
- Family Plan Members: If you are the head of a family plan, cancelling will revoke Premium access for all members under your plan. Inform them in advance about the cancellation.
- Automatic Renewal: If you’re canceling a free trial, do it before the trial period ends to avoid being charged for the first billing cycle.
- Alternatives and Substitutes: Consider whether there are other services or platforms that meet your needs. Sometimes, a different service might offer a better value or experience for your preferences.
- Potential Changes in Price or Terms: If YouTube announces changes in subscription terms or prices, evaluate how these changes affect your decision to cancel.
- Reactivation Process: Understand the process of reactivating your subscription in the future, in case you decide to return to YouTube Premium.
- YouTube Usage Habits: Reflect on your YouTube usage habits. If your usage is infrequent, the cost of Premium might not be justifiable. However, if YouTube is a significant source of entertainment or information for you, consider how the absence of Premium will affect this.
What Happens After Cancellation?
- You’ll retain Premium benefits until the end of the current billing period.
- After the billing period ends, you will lose access to Premium features.
Alternatives to YouTube Premium
If you’re canceling YouTube Premium but still looking for similar services, consider alternatives like Spotify for music, or ad-supported versions of YouTube.
Canceling YouTube Premium is a straightforward process that can be done from a web browser, Android, or iOS device. It’s important to consider the implications of cancellation and explore alternatives if you still need similar services. Always ensure that you cancel ahead of the next billing cycle to avoid unwanted charges.